An acclaimed American poet, storyteller, activist, and autobiographer, Maya Angelou was born Marguerite Johnson in St. Louis, Missouri. Angelou had a broad career as a singer, dancer, actress, composer, and Hollywood’s first female black director, but is most famous as a writer, editor, essayist, playwright, and poet. As a civil rights activist, Angelou worked for Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and Malcolm X.
She was also an educator and served as the Reynolds professor of American Studies at Wake Forest University. By 1975, wrote Carol E. Neubauer in Southern Women Writers: The New Generation, “Angelou had become recognized not only as a spokesperson for blacks and women, but also for all people who are committed to raising the moral standards of living in the United States.”
She served on two presidential committees, for Gerald Ford in 1975 and for Jimmy Carter in 1977. In 2000, Angelou was awarded the National Medal of Arts by President Bill Clinton. In 2010, she was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the highest civilian honor in the U.S., by President Barack Obama. Angelou was awarded over 50 honorary degrees.
Here are 10 quotes about love, life, and everything in between from the enigma of strength Maya Angelou will always be remembered as:
- Try to be a rainbow in someone’s cloud.
- My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style.
- If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude.
- I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
- When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time.
- It’s one of the greatest gifts you can give yourself, to forgive. Forgive everybody.
- Nothing will work unless you do.
- History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again.
- You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them.
- We may encounter many defeats but we must not be defeated.
Which one is your favourite? Tell us in the comments below!
Latest posts by Hridaya Ajgaonkar (see all)
- 7 Female Celebs And Their Favourite Reads! - August 30, 2016
- Cannes Bans Burkinis To Avoid Religious Scuffles - August 30, 2016
- 10 Maya Angelou Quotes On Love, Life, And Everything In Between - August 30, 2016